As a renter, you may not have the option to replace the floors, remodel the bathroom, or knock down the walls, but that doesn’t mean your apartment has to drag down your style. Use these four apartment decorating ideas to transform your living space. Every tip is reversible, so you’ll keep your security deposit intact.
Swap Out Hardware and Fixtures
Does your apartment have outdated or boring hardware and fixtures? Swap them out with those that suit your style better! As long as you reinstall the old hardware when you move out, your landlord shouldn’t mind. Here are some items you can swap out:
- Cabinet door and drawer pulls
- Towel racks and shower curtain rods
- Showerheads and faucets
- Toilet seat covers
- Ceiling fans and light fixtures
- Light switch plates
Enhance Your Walls
Create walls that wow with these apartment decorating ideas:
- Install removable bathroom wallpaper, a temporary kitchen backsplash, or peel-and-stick decals in the living room. These are all easy to remove when the time comes.
- Hang framed art, posters, mirrors, or tapestries. Remember to fill the nail holes with putty when you move out to avoid losing your security deposit. If you’re not allowed to put holes in the wall, use damage-free hanging tools instead.
- Paint the walls. You may need permission from your landlord, but this should be okay as long as you promise to restore the original color upon move out.
- Display photos on shelves or as a collage on the wall.
Update the Floors
Your apartment might not have fabulous wood floors or the option to install them. Still, you can work around your limitations as a renter by applying adhesive floor stickers. These decals work with any solid surface and come up clean when you move out, meaning you can enjoy upgraded floors until your lease is up. And if that sounds like too much effort, simply lay down area rugs to create comfort underfoot and hide flooring flaws.
Hang Window Treatments
Most rentals come with window coverings, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you like them. Replace those flimsy mini-blinds with bamboo shades, or soften the look of faux wood blinds with floor-length curtains. This simple apartment living upgrade improves lighting control and privacy while making your living space look less like a rental. Just remember to restore the windows to their original condition when the time comes.
If an apartment makeover doesn’t do the trick, it may be time to find a new lease on life. Team up with Apartment Locating Specialists to upgrade your search! We make apartment hunting in Dallas-Fort Worth easy with customizable search filters that narrow down your options. With our help, you’ll find the perfect place to call home in no time. Best of all, our apartment locating services are completely free—we even offer a cash rebate after you move! Begin your apartment search today, or call us at (817) 685-7368 with any questions you have.