Virtual tours are a handy apartment search tool. They make you feel as though you’re walking around the property, even as you sit comfortably at home. You can tour a dozen complexes in one day without driving all over town, which is especially useful if you’re apartment hunting from afar. Follow these tips to help you maximize your next virtual apartment tour.
Check Out the Apartment Listing First
Before setting up a live tour, browse apartment listings to help you decide which ones interest you the most. Many listings at least have photos, but some also have “3D tours” to help you get a better sense of the space. When you find a promising property in a neighborhood you like, save it for later so you can request a virtual tour with the landlord.
Even though they aren’t in person, virtual tours can be just as thorough as physical apartment showings. To make sure it goes off without a hitch, make these preparations:
- Charge your cell phone or laptop, or plug in your device to ensure the battery lasts.
- Make sure you have a strong, reliable Wi-Fi connection.
- Get set up in a quiet place free from interruptions and distractions.
- Plan a list of questions in advance.
- Be prepared to make your decision quickly. Because occupancy rates are so high right now, you should consider putting money on an apartment right away if you really like it.
Apartment Hunting Questions to Ask
While a virtual tour is the next best thing to being there in person, it’s not the same as getting to inspect the place up close. To avoid any unexpected disappointments, be prepared to ask everything you need to know during this virtual meeting. Here are the types of questions you should bring up:
- What are your rental rates on units of different sizes?
- What is the cost to apply? Must I meet any qualifications before applying?
- How soon can I move in?
- What lease length terms do you offer?
- What’s your pet policy?
- What do you charge for a security deposit and pet fee?
- Can I have a complete list of amenities? What’s included in my rent, and what costs extra?
- What utilities are included in my rent, and what do I need to pay for separately?
- How do you handle maintenance requests and emergencies?
- What are your rules around painting and decorating?
- Can I see the appliances and plumbing fixtures up close?
- Can you turn on all the lights and test the faucets and showerheads for me?
- How clear are the Wi-Fi and cell signals in the apartment? Will I need to sign up with a particular Internet provider?
- Can we tour the building and grounds?
If you’re on the lookout for the perfect apartment in the DFW Metroplex, know that using an apartment locator service is better than searching on your own. Here at Apartment Locating Specialists, we can send you links to 3D tours and set up virtual or in-person showings at your request. It’s completely free to work with us, so what are you waiting for? Fill out our apartment search form or give us a call at (817) 685-7368 to find your dream apartment in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.